Forum Thread: Pros and Cons of Tails

Image via torproject.org

Okay, so I've tried out Tails, and have come to a conclusion with it. (on the look, feel, and comprehensiveness of it) This Pro-Con article will be slightly different form my previous ones and geared more toward the software it contains, as I am not comparing Tails to anything. This is not a hacking/pentesting distribution. It as an anonymization distro meant for people who wish to stay completely anonymous while browsing the web. This OS is meant to be ran live on a Flash drive with persistence. You cannot (should not) install it as a dual boot or primary OS.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Pros:

1.) Can start browsing anonymously right out of the box

2.) Gives you a safe place to store your passwords

3.) Packaged with the TOR Browser Bundle

4.) Packaged with the Electrum Bitcoin Wallet for your BC needs while browsing the darknet anonymously

5.) Packaged with Pidgin IM

6.) Packaged with Gobby Collab. Editor

8.) Packaged with LibreOffice

10) Packaged with Poedit

11) Various media applications

12) Packaged with a tool dubbed MAT (Metadata Anonymisation Toolkit) You give it a picture via GUI and it will strip the metadata for you.

13) Packaged with the OpenPGP encryption applet (you will find the applet in the upper right-hand corner next to your battery monitor)

14) Very very very easy to use. (a small child could figure it out)

Cons:

1.) Must be used as a live boot OS

2.) A flash drive could be easily misplaced

3.) Can't really think of any others.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

WARNINGS DO NOT, by any means enable FLASH or JAVA because those add ons are VERY vulnerable to revealing your true identity!!!

All in all,

Next up: You decide!
Later: You decide!
After: You decide! (suggestions please :D )

To do list:
1.) C.I.A Kali
Reason not done: Download continues to get corrupted. (unreliable connection to the internet)

NOTE You all must give me suggestions! :) I can't know what you want without you telling me.
Also, sorry for the delay on this Pro-con article. I was busy with IRL things. :D

15 Responses

Tails is quote useful indeed.

Even let's you spoof you MAC-Adress, which is extremely useful if, for example, you're using an open WiFi hotspot.

U can do that with macchanger easily I think??

Ehehe, could work as well (I don't know), but Tails asks you if you want to spoof it right on boot. I'd still call this easier and more convenient. ;)

You can create an easy script to do this on any machine. Many variables you can set too.

Nice post, AppleDash! Are you sure that your connection is unreliable? It could be the source of the download or I don't really know if you've had problems with downloads before?

Eh, i'm not 100% for sure, but it usually only happens with big files from dropbox. (which is what CIA Kali is. lmao)

Also, thank you! :D

Sorry, I've never really heard about it. Hope you do get to do that review so that I can figure out. :D

Is this like tor?? Cause they said tor is not anonymous as u think... so is this the same like tor or it is completely anonymous??

This article does a good job of explaining the differences..

This is tor then...
But I read a post that said even tor is not anonymous as we think.. fbi can get to us??

The NSA can still watch you with ToR, if you are targeted.

I do have a question. The Pirate Bay (I think) released a browser that is designed to protect your anonymity and utilizes TOR. Is it exactly like The Onion Browser (except with the homescreen being different), or is it something different, and more secure?

Ahh, well...from my past experiences, don't use anything that the pirate bay "releases" I've never had any good experiences with TPB. However this browser that TPB "released" is probably just a retextured version of the TOR browser with loads of viruses on it. I wouldn't trust it. (I don't even trust TOR)

I agree with Appledash48. Nearly everything on Pirate Bay is malicious.

Remember everybody. You've gotta put in suggestions for this :D I want to know what you want to see!

Share Your Thoughts

• Hot
  • Active